Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Portal: The Crossword Puzzle

So this was an idea I had for a long time, and what with Portal 2 coming out next week, I figure I'd better get cracking on this thing and finish it. Granted, I kinda suspect that "crossword puzzle enthusiasts who are also really into Portal" might be a bit of a niche market, but hopefully a few of you out there will appreciate it.

Anyhoo, without any further ado, I present Portal: The Crossword Puzzle!


I'll post answers on Monday, in case you get stuck. Note that this does require some pretty extensive gamer knowledge to solve. (Sorry, mom.)

If you liked it, how's about subscribing to my blog? I can't promise every post will be a videogame-themed crossword, but they should still be entertaining.

Anyway, here are some other trivia and notes for those of you who are really curious about the process of crossword creation...

  • Holy crap, this was a lot of work. This took way more time to finish than I ever thought it would. I think at this point I owe my wife a nice dinner out after all the romantic evenings we spent together where she watched me repeatedly fill out and erase sections of graph paper.
  • I didn't use any crossword creation software to help me out -- this is all hand-generated. Although I did make extensive use of oneacross.com and crosswordtracker.com. And Google. 
  • I think one issue that made this extra difficult for me is that I'd find a really good game-related word that would partially fit into the grid, and then I'd get attached to it. Even when it was obvious the word wasn't working out, I didn't want to let it go because it was just too awesome of a word.
  • Some awesome words that I couldn't end up using are: LAYTON, TALI, HALO, ESRB, CATAN, LINK, and KANO. Come to think of it, half the Mortal Kombat cast makes for pretty awesome crossword puzzle words.
  • I was trying to figure out whether the puzzle would be better if I didn't put the portals directly into the grid and let you discover them on your own, but in the end, that just seemed a little too difficult.
  • I think the hardest areas to for me to complete were the sections in the left-center and right-center. I ended up having to use a couple of crossword-y words that I'm not especially proud of. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment